I am 24 years old. I am a life coach. No, I don’t feel I am too young. Here is why:
Do you know that I started working when I was 15 years old? In Switzerland, after you graduate from your 9th year of school, you either go to something similar like college or you do an apprenticeship. We have the dual learning system. That means you go to school for 2-3 days and the other days you are working in a company. You are mostly the one to do all the bad stuff. I got to know so many different people, different bosses and different working situations.
Three years later, after graduation, I quit and switched my jobs. Only to change again one and a half years later. And again after two and a half years. You see, in seven, now nine, short years I am in my fourth job. My mission: If it makes fun, do it. If it doesn’t: Quit.
No I am not too young to know what it means to work in the corporate world. I am in there for almost 10 years. And I am only 24 years old.
My official degrees:
- Business Woman with Vocational Diploma
- Desktop Publisher with Diploma
- Graduated (soon to be certified) life coach
- French / English Diploma (B2 level)
But I do not live my life according to a piece of paper. What I taught myself in the past years:
- Graphic Design
- Social Media Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator / InDesign
- Customize Websites
- and so much more
But that’s not written on a piece of paper. If you have ever been to Switzerland, you’d know that everyone wants to see a diploma for everything.
24 years aren’t enough to coach others?
- My mother died when I was 7 months
- My parents (stepmother and my dad) got divorced when I was 16
- I filled the void with different men
- I experienced my very first heartbreak when I was 16
- I kissed far too many boys
- I am now in a long term relationship of 7 years +
- I worked in the French part of Switzerland
- I speak three languages
- I travelled seven countries so far
- I have three younger sisters (you learn so much)
- I travelled solo to Paris (and yes it was scary!)
If you would have heard me speaking English 6 years ago, you would have laughed really hard. My English was so bad. People told me I should stop it. It was SO bad. No, I started reading, watching videos and listening to English material as much as I could. Now it is my second language. I am even thinking in English. It isn’t that perfect yet. But I graduated as a life coach, I am coaching in English and I am so damn proud of me. I knew, it would open a whole new world for me, if I would speak proper English. And here I am today.
So I feel like I am a pretty experienced tween. I may not be able to coach older women. But I am the perfect fit for women in my age. So the next time, you judge someone because of their age, just ask them, what they experienced so far. And listen. 🙂
Have you ever been told that you are too young for XYZ? Share it in the comments below.