Do you know where you want to go? Do you know what milestones you want to achieve in the next three months? Are you organized? No? Then let’s create a structure together so you can plan your goals.
Take a piece of paper or open a text document on your computer. Answer the following questions step by step.
- Question 1: What is my goal?
- Question 2: How do I know I’ve reached my goal?
- Question 3: What do I need to achieve this goal?
- Question 4: Who or what can help me achieve my goal?
- Question 5: Have I already done preliminary work for this goal?
- Question 6: How long will it take me to achieve this goal?
- Question 7: What is the deadline of this goal?
Question 2 is the cornerstone for your further planning. You can only move forward if you also know what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it. Go back through the answers you wrote down for question 2. If you saw this on your calendar today, would you know what you need to do?
Break the tasks into more subtasks. Then go through questions 3 to 7 again, so you know exactly how to approach the subtasks. Once you have everything written down, transfer the tasks to your calendar. I prefer to use Google Calendar for this.
Since you wrote down a date for question 7, this task will be easy. You enter this date as deadline. Calculate backwards (question 6) to determine the starting point of your subtask. You do this with all subtasks until you have transferred all tasks.
To make your life easier, I have already put together a template that you can print out and fill in.
Need help with planning, executing and validating your goals? I am happy to help with my session called “Close The Gap”. Click here to learn more.